Search This Blog

Monday, June 12, 2017

Chapter 11 Restart


Renjith spoke to his grandfather about his Mysore   interlude as he called it  

But he wanted to know about life after the rebellion and how was the family bought back again from the brink of destruction

 He asked his   grandfather for some answers

His grandfather spoke to him yet again “when I joined on the 10th of September 1920 my first days at the Mysore maharaja’s was horrid to speak in very polite terms

But latter on became the best 3 years of my life  

Classes  used to start at  sharp  8 and  we  had a   highly   regimented  class system I very  soon  was the talk of the  class 

As the son of the Chief sectary to the H.H. the maharajahs government of Mysore I was bound to the   most popular   but that was not the only factor that made me popular

My grades we very good bordering excellent and all

We had a wonderful house at the start of brigade road but it was lonely there

We both missed my mother and others my brothers and sisters who had their life cut short by the blade of a mad rebel or rebels “

Then finally when I passed out at the top of my class with honors in BA political incense in 1923

Father sent me to study law at the inner temple after being called to the bar at the Inner temple in 1929-30

I wrote my civil service exams passing my prelims and secondary papers and awaited for the results

As the war had started at that time I was instructed by my father to take over administrations of our estates

Father    had asked our PC   to draw up a title deed for the transfer of vested powers of admiration to my name

Finally I returned back to my home town and took up the reins of the estate

As the 5th prince of Vadakaka kolikal, Vadakan tirur kovilanagdi amsham, Eranadu

Due to the  war  I was inducted  as  a uncoveted  civil services officer  and was  made the  SDM of malabar district    as Collector, during those days a  collector was the head of the revenue organization, charged with registration, alteration, and partition of holdings; the settlement of disputes; the management of indebted estates; loans to agriculturists, and famine relief. As District Magistrate, he exercised general supervision over the inferior courts and in particular, directed the police work. The office was meant to achieve the "peculiar purpose" of collecting revenue and of keeping the peace. The Superintendent of Police, Inspector General of Jails, the Surgeon General, the Divisional Forest Officer and the Chief Engineer had to inform the Collector of every activity in their Departments. It was hectic 

Brick by brick I and my dear father  built our  family and lives  back up again

Rupee by rupee we stabilized our  family judiously  investing in financial stocks 

In land and businesses to the sheer dismay of the uspers of our thorn the so called Khilafat sultan   we came back ten times stronger and prouder than before to be what you see today

But it was not the same for all   some families were completely wiped out no more

Traces of them other than Oldman’s tales but for me those are not tales

Those were my friends and class mates and sisters all gone for ever

No one to cry for them how true it is that “history is written by the victors and no one listens to laments of the defeated and vanquished”

No comments:

Post a Comment